Maybe it's summer, the season for all things green and the markets are full of super nutrient-dense green goodness, filling your fridge with spinach, kale, collards, chard, arugula and bok choy! Or perhaps it's winter and you're eager to fit more vegetables into your day to revitalize your system. We've got options for you!
We have compiled a quick top 10 list of some delicious ways to get more greens in your diet. Truthfully, it was supposed to be a list of 3 but there were just so many that we couldn’t stop ourselves.
Just drink it up!
- Super simple and no planning or shopping involved. Add one scoop of Garden of Life Perfect Food Greens Original to water or juice and enjoy. If you want an added boost in the afternoon, then opt for the Perfect Food Greens Energizer and reap the extra benefits of pomegranate, yerba mate, B12 and maca.
- Feeling adventurous? Make sure to explore our Perfect Green Mojito recipe. Bet you never thought that your favourite cocktail could be a nutrient-packed healthy option. We are here for you. So, grab your green beverage, kick back and relax. (Not sure when this is scheduled for but this paragraph can be removed if required).
- Fantastic little snacks that can be eaten immediately or squirreled away in your freezer for moments when a quick healthy option is just what you are looking for. Add the Perfect Food greens powder to your favourite recipe or opt for additional protein with our PROTEIN & greens. Need a further nudge toward inspiration? Head over to our Mint Chocolate Protein & Greens Balls recipe which has been tested and enjoyed many times over.
Whip up a smoothie
- Add some greens to your morning smoothie routine. If you are cringing at the idea of throwing a big handful of kale into your smoothie, start with baby spinach. The baby spinach tastes less “green” and you can work your way up to the stronger flavoured greens, should you wish.
- If you or someone in your household is turned off by the colour green in their smoothie then go with a chocolate smoothie. A scoop of Perfect Food greens powder added to your chocolate smoothie is nutritious and delicious. Even if children or health food skeptics are involved, this is a good way to go.
Make a nice, fresh pesto
- Try making a pesto with greens. Use the traditional basil or mix it up by using spinach, arugula or baby kale. Not only may it be added to your favorite pasta, but pesto is also fantastic on grilled vegetables, as a sandwich spread, or just to dip your veggies in. You can get bonus points by dipping other green veggies into your pesto.
Throw them in a soup
- Whether it is a beautiful chilled spinach soup or greens stirred in at the final moments of making your lentil or minestrone soup. Greens provide that little something extra both in nutrition and taste. Serve it with your favourite seed bread or a fresh salad for a lovely meal.
Collard greens or lettuce wraps
- Swap out the usual options of burger buns or tortillas for collard or lettuce leaves. A personal favourite is collard leaves filled with hummus, tomato, shredded carrot, olives and spring onions. Veggie burgers are fantastic in the lettuce leaves as well. Feel free to get creative. (Is there a way for people to share their favourite combos?)
- Baked goods provide a stealthy option for those who need to hide their greens. Throw them into your chocolate baked goods and nobody will be the wiser. Brownies, chocolate zucchini muffins or double chocolate chip cookies. Toss in a scoop of Perfect Food or boost your protein at the same time and opt for the PROTEIN & greens.
Eat them for breakfast
- Take advantage of the energizing power of greens and eat them for breakfast. Dig into a savoury breakfast bowl with brown rice, your favourite cooked beans, wilted greens, avocado and salsa. Other breakfast options include adding chopped greens to a quiche, frittata or omelet.
Just sauté your little heart out!
- Change up the seasonings and transport yourself to a different place every day. Be it Italy (oregano, garlic, basil, and rosemary), Greece (oregano, olives, garlic, and lemon juice), India (garam masala, turmeric, coriander, and curry), Mexico (cumin, garlic, and chilies) or Japan (ginger, garlic, tamari, and miso).
Finally... we love a salad!
- Choose your favourite greens or a mixture of different greens, add other veggies for colour and nutrition, some seeds for crunch and your dressing of choice. You may also choose to zip your salad up a notch by adding some MCT oil to your dressing. Why not have a tasty salad with a cognitive energy boost at the same time.
The benefits of eating more greens is not a mystery to most. Greens are packed with vitamins and minerals, antioxidants, amino acids, enzymes and prebiotic fibers. They are abundantly high in phytonutrients which have benefits that include anti-inflammatory and antioxidant actions. Research indicates the benefits of greens include helping improve vision, boosting digestion, promoting a healthy gut flora, improving skin, increasing endurance and generally helping us feel better.
Hopefully you find some inspiration in this list of suggestions. Tap into your inner chef and let loose your creative self. Enjoy adding more greens into your diet. Bon appetite!