Blueberry Orange Magnesium Gummy Bears
- 2 teaspoons Garden of Life Dr. Formulated Whole Food Magnesium - Orange
- ¼ cup blueberries (fresh or frozen) + 1 tablespoon of water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (can adjust sweetness to taste or omit)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (can also add 1 tsp orange extract as well if you have)
- 1 tablespoon gelatin (may need more depending on amount of liquid you have)
- Silicone gummy bear molds (or any molds you wish to use)
Notes: *You can make the recipe with ½ cup water or any liquid instead of fruit. *This recipe works well with other fruits but certain fruits including pineapple, mango, kiwi, papaya, figs and guava contain enzymes that prevent gelatin from setting and are best avoided.
- Blend blueberries with water until liquid, can slowly add more if very thick.
- In a shaker cup add blended blueberries, lemon juice, orange extract, maple syrup and Dr. Formulated Magnesium powder. Shake! Open the lid afterwards as the magnesium is carbonated and you do not want it to explode. You can do this in any cup or even your pot. I found a shaker cup worked well.
- Let your mixture settle, it will be foamy. I like to settle it in a pot on low heat. This worked nicely as I used frozen blueberries. When settled, measure the liquid. This is important because you want to know how much gelatin to add. General guideline for gelatin is 1 tablespoon to ½ cup liquid. My mixture was 2/3 cup so I used 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons of gelatin.
- Add your mixture to a small pot and heat on low. Sprinkle gelatin into the mixture. Give the gelatin a minute to bloom, it should look grainy like apple sauce, this is normal. Stir and heat slowly, it will take a few minutes but it will dissolve. You do not want to boil the mixture.
- When everything is dissolved you are ready to pour into your molds. I like to test a gummy to make sure I have enough gelatin/desired consistency. Fill one gummy and pop it in the freezer to quickly set. Adjust your gelatin if you desire. *More gelatin will also result in firmer gummies.
- Fill your molds. You want to work quickly as the mixture will begin to set. I like to leave my pot on the stove (burner off) to keep warm and give me more time.
- When your tray is filled pop them in the fridge. They set fast, about 10-15 min.